Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Proof is in the Pants


Thursday March 24th

The day of the meeting has arrived! I slip into a navy pin-stripe suit. Might as well look the part even if I feel out of my depth. I placed the order for the morning tea yesterday before I left work. Hopefully it’s ready to go in time for our meeting.

S appeared at my desk 5 minutes before the meeting was due to start. We sorted out petty cash to pay for the morning tea. He went into another quick meeting and I ducked downstairs to pay for our nibblies and check on the order. The coffees were almost ready to go. I handed over the cash and went back upstairs to enlist some help in carrying up the trays. 

When C set the platter of muffins, Florentines, brownines, petit chocolates and key lime pie on the table, S raised his eyebrow and asked me if I was sure we had enough food.  I was positive we did! Turns out I was right! We had left-overs, even though I over-indulged. I consumed ½  Florentine, ½ a key lime tart, and ¼ of a brownie. Divine!!

The meeting went very well. It took us a while to let down our guard and loosen up, but once we did, we came up with a list of great ideas! S was very open to our suggestions and that did wonders for the morale in the room. S asked me to type up the minutes from the meeting and email them so that he could take a closer look at things.

An hour later, it was time to eat a ‘farewell’ lunch with one of the teams on our floor. They were allocated to a completely different section when the re-structure happened and now they were moving to a different floor in the building. It had taken us a while to blend our 3 teams together, but after 4 years of working with them, we’d be sorry to see them go.

They ordered Portuguese chicken, wedges, French fries, coleslaw, fresh bread rolls, fruit salad, cans of soft drink and boxes of mini-Magnums (chocolate covered vanilla ice cream).  Oh wow! I limited myself to 3 pieces of chicken and some fruit salad. The bread rolls looked tempting, but I figured I’d already consumed enough gluten at this morning’s meeting. The soda cans called to me from the fridge. I opened the door. The middle shelf was lined with black cans of Pepsi Max and Schwepps Lemonade. I looked at the calories on both labels. Then I thought about how I would feel if I drank one. That made the decision so much easier. The mini-Magnum won hands down.

Needless to say, I didn’t accomplish much at work today. It was more of an eating frenzy!  G and I planned to go to Burwood Westfield shopping centre. Even though I gorged myself today, most of my pants were too loose on me and I was keen to buy some that fit better.
Much to my surprise, I managed to fit into size 18 pants,  size 18 shirts and size 16 board shorts!! OMG!  I couldn’t help myself! I did a funky dance in the change room!! This is WICKED!! It’s almost winter, but I bought the board shorts out of spite! I was so ecstatic that I could fit into them, I wasn’t leaving the shop without them in the bag!

As we were paying, G noticed some boxes piled on the shelf behind the counter. Boots. Boots that are made to fit calves like mine! I had purchased some light tan pants and the sales girl suggested that I pick up some light brown shoes. It never occurred to me that my favourite store now sold footwear! I tried on a pair of tan boots and they fit perfectly! I felt like I’d won the lottery! What an amazing shopping experience!

G really wanted to work out tonight, so we left the shop. I think I was on Cloud 9! New boots, new outfits and size 16 board shorts. This is only a taste of what’s to come. G got ready to go for a run, so I got ready to meditate. I plugged in my salt rock lamp and a beautiful, soft orange glow illuminated the room. The cat curled up in the crook of my arm. The next 30 minutes passed peacefully.

To compensate for the indulgences of today, I made my self a protein power shake, watched a bit of TV and headed for bed. I was convinced that today would be a tough day. I had no idea that it would end on such a high note. Finally, I’m starting to reap the rewards of all of my hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment