Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Our Last Monday, 12 yrs in Oz and the Heatwave!

Sunday Feb 6


It's still SO hot! It was 28 degrees at 11pm last night! Our poor fan is just blowing warm air around! So hard to sleep. So tired. It's been over a week since this heatwave set in. However, they are promising a cool change for early afternoon today. Can't wait!

Breakfast and then it's time to head up the coast to visit some friends.

The traffic isn't too bad on a Sunday! The temperature gauge in the car says it 33 degrees. I'm so hanging out for the cool change; it simply can't come soon enough! We're set to have a BBQ outside, but none of us are keen to leave the air-conditioned lounge room. About 12.45, the rain starts. Still not the blessed 'Southerly'.


Then it comes bucketing down!! At last!! And the wind sprung up out of nowhere, bringing with it the Southerly all of us had been longing for!! Relief!

We had a wonderful visit with our friends. And it was so lovely to get out of Sydney for the day.

I decided that I would relax my eating a bit for today. So, I ate some water crackers with chive cheese and a few pieces of cabanossi (BBQ nibbly staples!). And, when P came in with a plate full of Kranski sausage and haloumi freshly grilled on the BBQ,  I couldn't resist. It was absolutely beautiful!!

Lunch itself was fairly healthy. I settled for a piece of steak, a small serve of home-made Singapore noodles, 1/2 a piece of corn on the cob (no butter or salt) and garden salad with cherry tomatoes, 'apple cucumbers' (I'd never seen these before! They looked like a miniature white Australian footy and boy were they tasty!!) and green capsicum (no dressing).

About an hour later, we were offered coffee and dessert. I always bring Xylitol with me for occasions just like this! That way, I can sweeten my coffee and not feel guilty! We had brought some soft, chewy cookies- some with mini-M&Ms and some with Snickers pieces. They are beautiful and very reminiscent of the cookies you can buy at Subway. I didn't eat any. However, I could not resist the thin slice of Rocky Road. It was 'melt-in-your-mouth' divine. I savoured it. But, after about 15 minutes, the sugar headache set in. I felt heavy and yucky. Sigh...ripped off.

By the time we got up to leave, all of us were feeling a bit chilly, but none of us were game to say anything after whinging about the heatwave! I was glad to get into the car and out of the wind. Home to a very light dinner, blogging a bit of TV and then, bed, glorious bed!! I'm so looking forward to sleeping tonight!! It's been over a week since I have had a decent night's sleep.


Saturday Feb 5

Too hot to get a decent sleep in. Even staying up late wasn't enough to help me sleep past 8.30am. Breakfast, shower and then it's off to Marrickville Metro to get a haircut. With weather like this, it's tempting to cut it short, but I settle for just a trim of my bangs/fringe.

We spent a bit of time looking for movies at Sanity. I'd read on line that Disney had re-released Fantasia and I knew G was keen to get her hands on a copy. We walked out with more than just Fantasia! I've downloaded a movie app for my iPhone which means we won't ever buy the same movie twice!

Subway for lunch. We shared a foot long Tuna Sub-no sauce, no cheese on brown bread. Yum!! I love Subway- fresh, tasty and as long as I don't make bad choices- guilt-free! We shared a bottle of water. All in all, it was a good outing.

The temperature outside was +45 degrees Celsius!! Not an ideal day to drive a BLACK car!! Everything we touched was smoking hot! Even the poor air-con was struggling. I think everyone in Sydney who doesn't have air-conditioning at home was out either at the shopping centres or the movies! I was grateful to be one of them!

We stopped at Office Works on the way home to pick up some supplies.  College starts back next Wednesday night and I wanted to be ready. I have a huge weakness for stationary. I think it comes third behind food and music.  If I had the budget, I think I'd buy one of almost everything in there. It's heavenly!

Then it was home to change out of our sweaty clothes. I settled down to write some of my blog with a steaming hot cup of 'coffee replacement' (dandelion & chicory root), 30g of sunflower seeds and 15g of sugar-free 70% cocoa chocolate with Acai berries.  The chocolate was surprisingly yummy- for dark chocolate. Mostly I'm a milk-chocolate kinda girl.

G made us some yummy pizzas on our new pizza maker. Except for the processed ham, it's definitely a healthy option. I always feel way better after eating one of our pizzas than I ever did after Dominoes or Pizza Hut.

A few episodes of Dexter and then it was definitely time for bed.

Friday Feb 4

Considering the workout yesterday, I wasn't nearly as sore as I expected to be! My arms must finally be making the adjustment to the new Thursday killer routine. I feel great about that! I know that muscle soreness means I've worked really hard, but to work that hard and not feel sore means progress in no uncertain terms! I can feel it in my core muscles though! Feels like I've done a few sit ups too many! But that is bearable!

Still so hot. I have an interview at work today and I couldn't face going in all hot and sweaty on the train. We elected to drive in.  I spent the first few hrs worrying about the interview. The original meeting invite  was for 2-3pm. Due to all of the changes that had happened in our division and due to illness, the interview was pushed up to 11am.

I don't know how I went. 76 applicants for 25 available positions. Steep odds. If I am successful, I know I'll get a lot out of the personal & professional development side of the program. If I'm not successful, I can chalk the interview up to experience. Interview experience is always a good thing to have under my belt. So, I guess either way, it's a win-win.

The number of calls really picked up in the afternoon. It's a good thing I sorted out my banking just after my interview. We only had 4 out of 8 staff on today. Let me assure you, I was happy to shut my computer down come 4.30pm.

A quiet night at home with G awaits! G'night all!

Thursday Feb 3  'My 12yr Anniversary living in Australia'

Today is the 12yr Anniversary of me arriving on the shores of Australia. 12 yrs ago, I didn't think I'd be here for longer than 4yrs (the duration of my Naturopathy course). Now look at me! I understand what people are saying 97% of the time! I know my way around. I understand that an 'r' in the middle of a word is 'silent'! That's not something I can master without thinking about it first and I'm sure that the 'r' s are the things that give me away as a 'foreigner' the most! Some days, I feel like a stranger in a strange land - stuck between 2 shores. I don't quite fit in here and I no longer fit in back home in Canada.

5.20am. Time for me to roll out of bed and head off to group PT. Sunflower seeds and a small nectarine in the car should be enough to see me through this morning's session. Since eating a 'pre-breakfast', I haven't felt sick after training. That's enough of a convincer for me.

I was the only one who turned up for group today! I lucked out! It's nice to have the boys there to egg me on, but it's equally lovely to have J all to myself! The flip side of being the only one there, is that J can focus all of her attention on me. That meant TWICE through the triceps circuit--completely! All of the reps. Yeah, that's right-a total of 40 triceps dips!! Insane! It did mean that I didn't have enough time to make it through the biceps circuit more than once.

I felt great afterwards. There's something about spending an hour in the gym, working hard at +40 degrees that gives me a huge sense of achievement.

Off to work.

After work, it's time to fill up on supplies-particularly yogurt, fruit and a few new additions. Since talking with Jules on Tuesday about trying a detox diet, I've decided to stock up on a few things. So, 2L of soy milk, dandelion & chicory root 'coffee' replacement (caffeine-free), bananas and some cabbage. I'm a little worried about giving up coffee. Caffeine withdrawal will not be pleasant. Surely it can't be too much worse than giving up sugar. Can it?

Home for fresh broiled salmon, The Good Wife and then bed.

Wednesday Feb 2

Feeling a bit stiff in the legs today, but considering it's been over a week since I've had a true workout session I'm amazed that I'm not feeling it more. Apparently, I have built up some fitness over the past few months. That's certainly not to say that I want to make a habit out of not exercising. I'm keen to make this change.

G has already tested out our new treadmill. I decide even though the temperature is still hovering in the mid 30s I need to get my gear on. I settled on the interval training. It seemed the least scary of them all. Each training session lasts for 32 mins. This program starts out at 6kms/hr, then 8kms/hr, then 10kms/hr. I lasted the 2 mins for each of these. But when it shifted between 6km/hr and 10km/hr for the next 24 minutes I knew I couldn't cope. So, instead I slowed it down to 8. Then finally settled on 7.5km/hr. My intervals went 2mins at 6kms/hr then 2 mins at 7.5kms/hr. This lasted for 24mins.

Without J there to cheer me on, I had to rely heavily on my iPod to see me through. Once I found a song that had the perfect beat for 7.5kms/hr, I kept repeating it. I was sweating like a pig by the time the 32 minutes were up. My legs were sore. But I was elated! I'd done it!! 3.5kms on the treadmill in hot weather! That's awesome!!! As I get fitter, I'm sure I'll be able to increase that second interval. Bring it on!!

Luke-warm shower, dinner, TV and bed!


Tuesday Feb 1

Still reeling a bit from yesterday's emotional farewell. I try to push the thought of it out of my head but I'm not very successful. When J asks me how I am, tears well up instantly. It's so hard for me to even talk about it; it's still so raw. I understand how to turn anger into an energy to exercise, but I find grief and sadness very heavy. I just want to curl up in a ball somewhere and sob my heart out.

But that's not what I'm here to do. I'm here to face up to J and tell her that I haven't done any exercise since last Tuesday's session. I was expecting a flogging 'Biggest Loser' style. But J isn't like that. Instead, I knuckled down and gave it everything I could. I concentrated during the warm up to avoid injuring my calf muscle. And I took the extra laps without a groan or a whimper.

Today is 'B' day:  core muscles and, all up, 90 squats. The first set is always the toughest physically. It's like the muscles need a chance to prepare themselves and warm up. The last set is toughest mentally. Exercise is mental and physical. I think my mental muscles tend to give out first. I need to toughen them up!

At the end, J mentions a detox diet. Now, in my studies as a Naturopath, I've come across a few detox diets. I give J a sceptical look. She tells me that this diet has been developed by an English Doctor with an Indian heritage. Apparently his work is sought after by celebrities. People claim to feel amazing on this diet. It lasts for 3 weeks. J says his clients have had excellent weight-loss results. Only 5 weeks to go until my birthday; I could use some excellent weight loss results!!

J tells me that I'd have to forgo alcohol but knows that I almost never drink! Then she hits me with the big guns. "You'd have to give up caffeine."

Caffeine!?? Aw heck! I only just managed to give up SUGAR!! How am I going to live without caffeine for 3 solid weeks?! I think longingly of that first morning coffee and that hot cuppa tea before bed. This is gonna be ugly. Withdrawal city. Poor G.

J laughs at me and tells me that we can do it together.

I shrug and thing, aww why not!? What have I got to lose aside from some toxins and some kilos!

J tells me she'll bring the book to Thursday's group session so I can have a read of it over the weekend.

Monday Jan 31  'Our Last Monday'

Hmmm how does one spend the last Monday we have together before Kindergarten starts? Well, S woke up when G went in to her room to say good-bye. She crawled into bed with me for our morning snuggle. Then it was time for breakfast: Nutella on toast (and I had my usual muesli, yogurt & fruit).

After my shower, we decided it was Mosaic time!! S received a box 3 with Disney Princess Mosaics for her birthday. She settled for Belle and gave me Cinderella. It wasn't too hot outside yet, so we set up our stuff at the out door table and got started. We chatted a little bit about school and what it was like. I told her how much I loved school as a kid- and even as an adult! She wanted to know if her Uncle T liked school as much as me, and told her that I don't think he did--but even he went back to school as a grown up to become a pilot. She seemed satisfied with that!

About 10.30, the courier arrived with our NEW TREADMILL! Whoo hoo!! Unfortunately, the courier was only prepared to take the treadmill up the drive. It was up to me to shift the 90kg box from the backyard into the lounge room. S offered to help but I assured her that she would be safest making cookies & cakes out of playdoh at the kitchen table. It took a lot of wriggling and manouvering, but I finally got it into the lounge room. Crazy!!

Then I joined S at the kitchen table to assist with the playdoh baking! She received the baking centre for her birthday too. It's really neat! You can squeeze playdoh out so that it looks like icing and there are lots of different molds! Too cool!

About 1pm, we decided it was time to gather our things and head over to  Castle Hill. First stop: Lollipop Playland for some serious sliding, climbing, playing and perhaps even a little lunch! Then, it's straight to swimming to watch S at her lesson! It is so hot today. 38 degrees. Too hot for this Canadian!!

There's a super steep green slide that S is keen to try out. After stowing our shoes and my bag, we climbed up to the slide; S settled herself on my lap and we were off!! OMG! Talk about steep and FAST! S LOVED it!!! Again, Mumma Jay?? I think we managed to go down about 7 times while we were there! Heaps of fun!

S had a vegemite & cheese sandwich and a handful of fries. I settled for ham, cheese, & tomato on 'brown' bread (really, it looked more like white bread with wheat freckles!!). Half a sandwich later, I lost interest. I could have eaten the rest of the fries, but stopped myself after 10. Prolly could have tackled a pre-schooler for a Coke, but I had a cappuccino with xylitol instead. It wasn't the same.

Swimming. It was soo splash-tastic to watch S in the pool! She's like a little mermaid! But, boy was it hot and humid sitting there watching her! I was prolly just as wet as she was!! She did flutter kicking (face in and face out) and even dived to the bottom to collect her goggles.

Dropping her home proved to be a very emotional experience. I hung around whilst S and C went through my iPhone to look at the games that I've downloaded for S. C has agreed to download a few too. I played with S's little sister. As 6pm rolled around, I figured it was time for me to be heading home. S clung to me and refused to let me go. C had to pull her off, and even then, she squirmed and wriggled trying to get free of C's grasp. She was crying; I was crying.

I asked her what was wrong, and she looked up at me and said,"when will I see you again, Mumma Jay?'

I tousled her hair and told her that she would see me in 2 weeks just like always. I gave her another hug and left. It broke my heart. I knew it was going to be hard, but this was so painful. I sat in the car and cried for a bit. Then, backed down the driveway and headed for home.

G had managed to haul the treadmill from the lounge room to the back room and had it completely unpacked by the time I walked in at 6.45. The bedroom was strewn with cardboard and plastic bags. G was dripping with sweat. There's no airflow and it gets so hot in our unit. My first act was to turn on the fan. She took one look at my face and gave me a big hug.  Then we busied ourselves connecting leads and bolting the frame together. It has a longer running track than our old one, a wicked digital display, heaps of programs, speakers and a personal fan!

Dinner, TV and bed. G heads for bed sooner than I do. I intend to stay up until my eyes can't bear to remain open any longer. Otherwise, the events of the day will play over and over in my mind.

Sunday Jan 30

S sleeps in until 7.20am & then climbs into bed for a snuggle. G is exhausted, so we leave her to sleep and head out to make breakfast. All of us were pretty tuckered out after yesterday's festivities, so we mostly took it easy.

S and I played her new Disney Princess computer games, played with her new Strawberry Shortcake cafe set, played with the Playdoh cake & bakery set and watched some TV. It was too hot to go to the park or play outside.

We decided to have a bath before dinner to cool down. Then, it was time to settle in to watch Disney's  Mulan. Unfortunately, S was a little hesitant to continue watching Mulan once she decided to take her father's place in the Emperor's Army. I think she was worried that Mulan would come to harm. On top of that, S was very, very tired.  So, we turned off the movie, brushed her teeth, chose a story and assumed our usual 'story time' position. The fan was still in S's room from the night before, so we turned it on. I kissed her, gave her a big hug, and tried very hard not to think that this was one of our last Sunday night 'tuck ins'.

No comments:

Post a Comment